This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Evo 13.5 Nano Reef

Discussion in 'Member Tank Builds' started by MaxBottomTime, Mar 21, 2019.

1. MaxBottomTime

MaxBottomTime
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Hello,

I've had small saltwater aquariums for a decade or so with some success. My last tank was a 20L, which was a bit neglected and out of sight. I'm restarting in an evo 13.5 which is in my living room. I've moved over some of the livestock and will bring the rest over the next few weeks (2.5" pistol shrimp and pair of YWG).

I'm not sure on coral choices, but brought over a few drags. The rock flower nems need a new home though and are not making the journey.

Hardware

• EVO 13.5
    • Inkbird 308 Temperature controller
    • Tetra 100w heater (50w seemed not strong enough to take ambient, mid-upper sixties at night to 78)
    • 2x60mm cooling fans - currently clip on but may cut a hole and attach to hood.
    • Jebao OW-10 on lowest setting
    • Stock light with some mods - Added 2x blue and 2x cool white 12" LEDENET strips, 3.6w each. The additional LEDs alone seem to match the stock light, which people have done LPS and some SPS on. I'm hopeful this will be plenty for anything i could throw at it. The color improvement alone is worth it.
    • Autotopoff.com ATO
    • Egg-crate rack in 1st chamber. Will be moving carbon over, don't think i need anything else
    • Chamber two will house a submerisble chinese LED and some chaeto - hope it is sufficient.
    • Chamber 3 holds the heater, ATO, temp probe.

Livestock

• 7 lbs of new coraline covered liverock
    • 2-3 lbs of old rock, buried to create the base
    • 20lbs of arag alive live sand - the pistol/goby combo needs depth!
    • PJ Khalid - Pajama cardinal (moved up from 20L)
    • 1 blue-leg hermit (moved up from 20L)
    • *** 2 Yellow Watchman Gobies (still living in the 20L, coming up in the next week or so)
    • *** Tiger Pistol Shrimp (chillin with the gobes currently)
    • 2x Maxi Mini Nems - one was less pleased about my extensive rock separation process, but both are opened.
    • Tiny Hammer coral
    • Xenia
    • Toadstool
    • a couple zoas
    • GSP (new addition)
    • Clove polyp frag

Other than that, i'll be playing around with coral. Probably maxed on fish, but maybe would get something small - neon goby, etc.

The tank seems pretty good so far - but i am very disappointed in the finish on the honeycomb. Wiping down salt creep with a damp rag has worn off a good chunk of the top 1/2", so i'll likely just be removing it at some point.

Enough talk, here are some photos:

Left side

[​IMG]

Front

[​IMG]

Right side

[​IMG]

Top shot

[​IMG]

Upgraded hood

[​IMG]

davesfish likes this.
  2. Newfishintown81

Newfishintown81
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Where did you find the extra lights and how much are they? Are your corals growing with them?

3. MaxBottomTime

MaxBottomTime
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

I actually changed out to 4x blue (so dropped the whites and got blue) for better hue.

I bought 4x of these and a power adapter. I actually have 2 on a separate timer and two that turn on with the main light. That's about 15w more LED, which puts the total light over the tank at a pretty respectable amount. I've actually got a couple RBTA under it which seem happy, and have some SPS i just mounted in the center so we'll see how those do

4. MaxBottomTime

MaxBottomTime
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Okay it's not letting me add a link, but if you search
    LEDENET 12-Inch 18LEDs 5050 Aquarium LED Strip, Waterproof Aluminum Lighting 12V DC
    on amazon you can select the blue. they daisy chain and one power adapter is sufficient. my LPS seems pretty happy under it.

General tank update - little bit of cyano. i blame the sand. my bare bottom tanks are always better it seems. added some chemi pure so we'll see if that helps. i feel like the sand leaches phosphate.

5. brian1313

brian1313
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Looks like a cool tank. I have always been intrigued with the evos

6. gavij

gavij
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Looks cool. I changed the return pumps on mine though - have two hydor pico pumps now. Looks like they also have a larger pick pump which I could have used. I also added a nano chiller on chamber two. I have always lost corals in the past to heat so I am not setting up another reef tank now without chillers.

7. MaxBottomTime

MaxBottomTime
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

What nano chiller? the 100W TEC one? I've been eyeing that and wondering how well it will work.

8. gavij

gavij
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

The pumps I have is 2 Hydor pico 300 rated at 300 gph each with adjustable flow. Looks like this is the largest size in this category.
    The chiller I have is CoolWorks Ice Probe with Power Supply bought from Marinedepot for around 120. It seems to work fine so far but the temperature haven't gone up enough that it is fully challenged. It goes on top of my middle chamber perfectly. I just cut a piece of plexiglass and made a hole in it to put the chiller through. You can cut the plexiglass such that it covers the other 1/2 chambers to minimize evaporation loss as well. I am modifying my plexiglass so that I can put a water bottle in my pump chamber for water top off; tired of topping off water and trying to maintain salinity.

9. gavij

gavij
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

How many gph does your circulation pump put out? I had a marineland MJ400 which was rated at 500 gph and blowing all my sand. I modified it to reduce flow by putting a couple of zip ties and ran it on a wavemaker. I don't which of the two caused it but it died. I replaced it with koralia nano 425 gph since 500 earlier was too much but now I have less flow than I need. I am not sure if the koralia is putting out its rated flow. I am thinking I should have gone with the 565 gph.

10. MaxBottomTime

MaxBottomTime
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

It's a jebao ow-10 rated for 132-1000gph, and I run on the second lowest setting. Higher seems to piss off my nems. I do have some cyano so maybe I should up flow.

Interesting - the probe is half the wattage of the TECs I've seen, maybe I'll try.