This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Heater Vs. Size Of Tank

Discussion in 'DIY & Hardware' started by FizxVix3n, Jan 26, 2018.

1. FizxVix3n

FizxVix3n
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Hi all, so I am finally getting my biocube setup and I have a question regarding the heater that I could not find already answered (forgive me if I missed it and please point me in the right direction!). My tank is a 29 gallon AIO and with all the possible problems heaters cause, I was wondering if it is a good idea to get a heater that is rated for a smaller volume of water versus a larger volume of water. My internal dialogue/debate/question is a while lower wattage will be running “harder” does it have less potential to hurt the tank if it fails (by staying on vs. turning off) than one rated for twice the volume of water? I was looking at the Jaber heaters which were recommended by some others on the Nano reef forum and they have both 75W and 100W units available able to heat 16-26g and 26-40g respectively. I have not accounted for heat from the lights and equipment yet but will do so prior to placing livestock. Any suggestions as to which is better? Any brand you recommend instead of Jaber? Any unit I get will be purchased with at least 1 or 2 back ups. Thanks so much for your help!!! Lindsey

2. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

I would do the 100 watt. Just get a good one. You will be fine. Just my opinion.

FizxVix3n likes this.
  3. Forestwalker101

Forestwalker101
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

You have a valid point and my dad fried his fish in those same circumstances. It doesnt hurt them to be a little under temperature it will kill them if the tank goes to 90 and you dont notice right away. But either way get a good heater. I have aqueon and they have a lifetime warranty.

davesfish and FizxVix3n like this.
  4. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

A stuck heater is a stuck heater though. A 75 watt will still get it to a bad temp.....it just may take a few minutes longer.

FizxVix3n likes this.
  5. Travenous

Travenous
    Expand Collapse
    Reef Scarecrow

Certain types of heaters use a bi-metallic strip to determine when they should be turned on or off. These types of heaters can have an issue where the metal fuses to the contacts and it will remain stuck on. Electronic heaters use circuitry and a solid state switch to turn the heater on and off. Regardless of the size you choose, I'd recommend the Electronic variety. I've always had good luck with the Finnex Titanium heaters.

FizxVix3n and davesfish like this.
  6. FizxVix3n

FizxVix3n
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Thanks for the help! How are you?

7. Travenous

Travenous
    Expand Collapse
    Reef Scarecrow

I'm doing well. I'm happy to see you're getting that tank setup. Are you headed to the LEAR swap in February?

8. FizxVix3n

FizxVix3n
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I plan on it! Hoping to get a clean up crew there. I finally beefed up the wobbly stock stand... pretty sure if the house were to come down that stand will still be in one piece. ;) Will you be there?

davesfish likes this.
  9. Travenous

Travenous
    Expand Collapse
    Reef Scarecrow

It's one of my favorite days of the year, wouldn't miss it! Hopefully I will see you there.

FizxVix3n likes this.
  10. brian1313

brian1313
    Expand Collapse
    Web Guest

Im lookin at getting a cobalt heater for my AIO because of its thin profile. Heard good things about them