This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

"established Tank" Questions

Discussion in 'General Reef Discussions' started by Jay D, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Jay D

Jay D
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Ok so how long is it before you have an "Established Tank"?

I would rather not get some of the pickier fish until the tank is considered established and my pod/rotifer/plankton is in full swing.

Seems like everyone is saying 1 year for an established tank online. I have been focusing more on filtration and the clean up crew than probably needed. But down the line i would love to have a nice clam in the tank and a mandarin goby.

Pods, pods, pods of course and i am for sure focusing on them and no other stock in my tank eats them other than the occasional opportunistic eaters.

So is 1 year the goal for an established tank or is it when all signs point to awesome?

I hate havjng to worry about a dead clam killing the tank so i for sure will not add one until i know its ok to.

Its big clam or no clam at all!!! :)

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

2. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Lots of things determine time. Did you seed wirh live rock ? Lighting, water quality, current stock....on and on. Remember...a Mandarin Goby does NOTHING but eat pods. I have heard they can eat hundreds...mayne even a thousand in a day ! The wah their metabolism works, they have to eat non stop. So even a mature tank can be stripped clean in a short time. So now the size of your sump comes into play..... All tanks are different !

3. Jay D

Jay D
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

Gotcha, the sump is an 84 gallon that i am running at 50 gallons full. Refugium with plenty of pod zones of different flows. And pods ordered from 3 seperate locations so far. Figure in 6 months or so they should be breeding pretty strongly.

I hate that thats all they eat but 1 mandarin and a bunch of coral is my main purpose for going saltwater lol.

So maybe not a year if everythings going smooth? I have it doing daily 1.5 gallon water changes and ato is always on so she should be pretty stable moving forward.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

4. davesfish

davesfish
    Expand Collapse
    Csea club president
    C-SEA Member

Some pods will breed...some don't. I know Greg at Aquatic Technology in Columbia Station sells some of the best ones to reproduce.

5. Jay D

Jay D
    Expand Collapse
    Paid C-Sea Member
    C-SEA Member

I will have to pick some up. I have the tisbe, tiger, and apocylops so far. Plus whatever migrated from live rock

davesfish likes this.